Friday, April 8, 2011

Wine Xperience 2011: Getting Ready for the Harvest


Wine Xperience (I know but this is the correct spelling with "X") is an international internship program launched by the German Wine Institute along with a group of young German wine producers known as Generation Riesling. Its object is to provide young professionals in the trade from around the world the first-hand work experience in wine-growing regions of Germany.


This September, I am off to Staffelter Hof  located in Krov, which lies on the Moselle between the town of Traben-Trarbach and Kinheim and there are 3 things I am doing now to get myself ready for the harvest.



1. Learning about Riesling and wines/regions of Germany
Since the more I learn the more I appreciate a glass of wine, I am gathering all the resources I have including Oxford Companion, World Atlas, Wine Bible, Sotheby's, etc. to learn as much as I can about Riesling and German wine in general. This will also help me with the WSET Diploma study.



2. Learning German
I have never been to Germany or studied German in my life and only the words I know are: Guten Tag and Danke. I know people speak English there but I think it is always important to show respect when visiting a foreign country. I got "Berlitz German in 30 Days" the day I got e-mail from Jan offering me the internship. I downloaded the CD in my I-Pod and listening whenever I have a chance. But I know it will take me a lot more than 30 days... more like "German in 30 Months" in my case. Hopefully learning German language will help me conquer my fear of reading and understanding German wine labels.


3. Exercising on treadmill with incline
After the harvest in Champagne last year, I learned it is a physical labor, which takes a lot of muscles. Especially now I am looking at the pictures of the Mosel vineyards with steep slopes. I better start now or I will slide all the way down to the Mosel River!!


To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment